Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!
Asked by
Anonymous on
February 24, 2011

Q. Mushrooms Not Growing!

I bought a pack of Suttons mushroom dry spawn and followed the instructions carefully. The pack is in date. After almost three months, there is no sign of life! The pack said I should notice the Mycileum after about ten days, but I’ve noticed very, very little. Yet, I continued with the instructions. They have been kept constantly damp and in a cellar, which is not particularly cold. Any advice on what I should do now?

Answered by
Heather on
March 3, 2011
Certified Expert
A.

You may have gotten some defective spore. I would contact the company that you bought them from and ask for a replacement.

00
Was this answer useful?
Asked by
Anonymous on
May 1, 2011

Q. Overrun With Mushrooms

I have an area of my garden that I can’t use because it is overrun with horrible black mushrooms. There is practically no soil left as there are so many mushrooms. How do I get rid of them? And what caused them? I think it might be caused by wildlife urine and/or feces.

Answered by
Nikki on
May 2, 2011
Certified Expert
Asked by
Anonymous on
May 15, 2011

Q. Soil

If mushrooms appeared repeatedly in one small spot, how is the soil?

Answered by
Nikki on
May 16, 2011
Certified Expert
A.

It generally means the soil is moist, conditions favorable to fungal growth. You will want to have your soil's pH checked as well. It is probably low and this is why the mushrooms are growing.

00
Was this answer useful?
Asked by
wildozflower on
June 14, 2011

Q. How Much Water Is Needed to Grow Mushrooms at Home?

I bought a mushroom growing kit that has so far refused to yield the slightest sign of a mushroom. How much should the compost be watered, as the instructions only said to mist daily. The compost is covered in what looks like white candy floss. Do you think the compost is too wet? I would be grateful for your suggestions.

Answered by
Heather on
June 17, 2011
Certified Expert
A.

It sounds like it has a fungus, just not the kind you are looking for. You may want to have a fan blow gently on the area. This will help keep unwanted fungus from growing on the surface of the compost.

Rather than misting, you may want to try dribbling. Just dribble a little water on the compost rather than misting. That way the water will penetrate a little deeper into the compost itself, rather than sitting just on the surface, which creates the right conditions for that fluffy fungus that is growing.

00
Was this answer useful?
Asked by
Anonymous on
June 15, 2011

Q. Mushrooms vs Dogs

Are the mushrooms growing in my yard a danger to my dogs? I have two small dogs and while I’ve not seen them eating them, if they did, would it be harmful? Also, will the mushrooms harm their paws and/or cause any irritation to them?

Answered by
Nikki on
June 15, 2011
Certified Expert
A.

Yes, certain wild mushrooms are toxic to dogs. Do not let your dog eat any wild mushroom, as there is no treatment for the most lethal. If your dog has eaten mushrooms, collect a sample and take it and your dog to the vet. Symptoms of mushroom poisoning can range from mild vomiting and diarrhea to severe digestive problems to complete liver failure.

Here is an article for ridding the lawn of mushrooms: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/lawn-care/lgen/eliminate-mushrooms-in-your-lawn.htm

00
Was this answer useful?
Asked by
Anonymous on
June 15, 2011

Q. Fungi

How do you grow fungi at home step-by-step?

Answered by
Nikki on
June 16, 2011
Certified Expert
1 2 3 10
Learn

Learn From
Your Peers on
Our Blog

Visit Our Blog
The website that started it all!
Main Website

Do you know a lot about gardening?
Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More