Black Walnut Trees

Why Is My Walnut Tree Not Blooming

Have an older black walnut tree in the backyard. Last year no fruit and this year despite all the other trees already blooming, this tree only has a fee buds on it as of May 14. It looks healthy otherwise. Not sure on entire history of the tree, as I have only owned this property since Oct. 2013. It was actually still providing fruit when I moved in! It was very messy. Just making sure this a normal process or if it needs something like fertilizer. Thanks.

This is a normal process. Black walnuts are alternate year bearing – one year they have a large crop and the next few nuts/fruits. Black walnut trees are late bloomers compared to other types of trees and its potential for nut production also hinges largely on the climate/weather as temperatures below 26 F can kill emerging buds and pistillate flowers. I hope that helps.

00
Here are more questions about Black Walnut Trees