Weeping Cherry Trees

Weeping Cherry Tree Sap

I have a weeping cherry tree that is about 15 yrs. old and this year there is this thick molasses type sap oozing from the trunk of the tree. Is this something I should be concerned about, and if so, what do I need to do to correct the situation?

Fruit trees are very susceptible to frost cracks or bark splitting due to the fact that they have thin bark. These are caused by drastic temperature fluctuations, especially in the winter. This then causes sap oozing. It usually does not harm the tree.

It could also be caused by peach borers, which affect several kinds of fruit trees. This article will help determine if this is the cause or not: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/peach/peach-tree-borer.htm

00
Here are more questions about Weeping Cherry Trees