Better Boy Tomato

Tall Tomatoes

My plants are 6 foot tall and fill my 4 foot cage. One plant (Better Boy) has 28 green tomatoes. Others in my area are harvesting lots of tomatoes, but mine are still green. I have been suckering. Should I be pruning the end of the new shoots to discourage vine production and encourage fruit production?

I would not prune anymore at this time. It is probably a bit of the reason you have green tomatoes. The plant has been spending energy on healing cuts rather than fruit production and the fruit set a bit later. It is the trade off when you prune and sucker. It also sounds like you may have too much nitrogen, which would also contribute to delayed fruit setting. The excess nitrogen will work itself out over the season, but for next year, make sure you use a fertilizing mix (chemical or organic) with more phosphorous.

As for this season, the tomatoes will ripen. You just need to give it some time.

00
Here are more questions about Better Boy Tomato