Spirea Out of Control

About 4 to 5 years ago, I moved several perennials from my deceased parents yard to mine. Most were just decent sprigs to start my own garden in their memory. Now the spirea has grown massive for my small garden and is towering over all my azaleas. I do not want to destroy them but need to know when the best time would be for me to transplant them to a new location. Should I wait until all the leaves fall off? The area I would like to put them has very little soil, more tree roots, soil is hard as a rock, and very little sun. How will spirea do in the shade? Will hydrangeas survive there too?

Spring or fall is the best time to move plants, so at this point if you can wait until the fall, that would be best.

In terms of the conditions where you will move them, the spirea will do ok in the soil, but needs at least 4 hours of light. The hydrangea will do ok in the shade, but needs a more loamy soil. This article can help you with amending the soil easily: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/lasagna-gardening.htm

Here are more questions about Spirea