Baptisia Plants

Moving Baptisia Plants

BAKsplace added on August 25, 2015 | Answered

Should I try to move my Baptisia now or wait until spring? It is small but will be too crowded. I did not know how this beautiful plant functioned until this year when several began to mature and show their shrub-like qualities. I understand that Baptisia does not like to be moved but before I knew how this wonderful plant bloomed, etc., I planted them much too close. I want to move a couple of them now--early fall. They are quite small yet, and the weather is cool and wet. Is this a good time or should I wait until spring? I need to take my chances so that I can give them sufficient room to grow.

You are correct that they don't like to be moved, but you certainly can move then. Sooner than later as the root system is quite large.
Moving them will likely reset the flowering and they may not flower again for at least the first year.

You can move them this fall or wait until spring.
Here is a link with growing information.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/baptisia/growing-baptisia-plants.htm

00
Here are more questions about Baptisia Plants