Saffron Crocus

Saffron Crocuses

alligatorsnapsnap added on October 13, 2017 | Answered

I planted the bulbs this fall. I noticed that they have started to grow. Will this affect how they survive winter? Is this normal? should I cut them down? More warm weather is predicted for my area. I am zone 3, I plan to mulch them heavily before winter. And If I decide to move in the spring, any tips on transplanting. I.e. best time thanks

Unfortunately, your saffron crocus may not be hardy in zone 3, only zones 6-8 according to one source I just. But another says it is hardy to -15F. Native to Spain and India, among others, it grows in warm and dry conditions. It takes 50-60 to yield 2 T of saffron. Your options are to hope for a mild winter or dig them up now and keep them in the refrig in dry peat moss or perlite and set out in very early spring. Read more here and check out the different pages. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/saffron/growing-saffron-crocus.htm

00
Here are more questions about Saffron Crocus