Saffron Crocus

Saffron Crocus

Lks11645 added on September 20, 2016 | Answered

I live in east/central Ohio (43022) and just received saffron crocus bulbs. I planted a couple in a pot to see what might happen - ave. first frost still a couple of weeks away. My question is what to do with the rest between now and next April when they can go out? How to store, or should they be planted indoors for winter harvesting of the stamens? I have a history of pushing zone limits. When in Iowa, I successfully had a productive Spanish Quince tree that provided beautiful pink quince jelly for years. Granted, I had to winter protect the base of the tree, and pick the 6-inch diameter fruit just before the first frost and let them finish ripening indoors, normally less than a week or two. Thank you for any help you can give. Larry

Storing the corms (bulbs) of saffron crocus indoors during the winter is recommended. Store them in a cool but not freezing, dry spot such as a basement, buried in dry sand in a wooden or plastic box.

It is also possible to grow saffron crocus indoors, even during winter, as described here:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/saffron/growing-saffron-indoors.htm

00
Here are more questions about Saffron Crocus