Romanesco Broccoli Plants

My Romanesco Doesn’t Look Like It Should

LeisahBlue added on August 1, 2013 | Answered

This is a follow up to my first question. I read the article on the Romanesco broccoli as well as many others. My romanesco never looked like the romaneco in the picture. It never had a tight head and always had leaves between what appeared to be stalks. I've grown regular broccolis and cauliflower with success in the past. What would make it fail to head and just go straight to seed. No article covers whether it would get side shoots if I were to cut the head off. I tasted a stalk and it's really bitter and actually looks like it is going to seed.

It's possible that you have broccoli rabe. From your description, that's my guess. I've never eater nor grown any, but am familiar with the plant. It is very possible that somewhere in the packaging of seed, broccoli rabe seed got into the romanesco packet by mistake. (It happens more often than you'd think!) Broccoli rabe is bitter, and doesn't make heads. It's definitely not a tight, neat head like broccoli or romanesco. If it's turning yellow (like old broccoli would), it's probably bolting. This article might help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/broccoli-rabe/broccoli-rabe.htm

00
Here are more questions about Romanesco Broccoli Plants