Peony Plant

Move Rose or Peony?

I planted my sunny front foundation bed 8 years ago- as a complete novice- and planted a gorgeous peony row in front of a number of rose bushes. At this point, while most have survived, the peonies have overshot the roses by a country mile. They are nearly invisible behind them. So which do I move? I know neither likes it very well. . .

I guess it comes down to which one you like the looks of better in that garden location. If the peonies are giving you a lot of joy, then I would move the rose bushes to another but still sunny location. The rose bushes must be floribunda roses as those tend to stay shorter. Hybrid teas or Grandifloras should have given the peonies a run for their money in the height department. I would not move the rose bushes if they are very actively growing at this time, however, as it could kill them.Transplant in early spring once the ground is workable.

Here are more questions about Peony Plant