How Much of the Caudex Should I Bury: Cycas Micholitzii, Zamia Pygmaea, Zamia Fischeri

clade12345 added on May 26, 2017 | Answered

Good Afternoon, My name is Charles, I'm an experienced gardener from New Orleans. I've collected rare and exotic tropicals for years, but recently my horticulture buddy got me hooked on Cycads. Over the last couple months I've done plenty of research on how to culture Cycads, but for some species I've had a tough time finding information. I'm still unsure how much of the caudex I should bury for some? I guess my second question is: do arid species vs more tropical species prefer their caudex at different depths? I have a Cycad Mitcholitzii and a Z Fischeri which I believe like to stay fairly moist, and three Z Pygmaea which like to dry out(trying to find info on them is a nightmare). Also, the pygmaeas are seedlings, not sure if that is a factor. I would greatly appreciate any advise Thank you, Charles

Here are more questions about Cycads