Black Walnut Trees

How Can I Identify an Invasive Plant

jeannie1216 added on September 2, 2012 | Answered

I live in western PA. My yard is invaded with a tree like plant. My neighbor told me it was sumac but it never flowers. Ii even have it on growing out of my foundation. This plant grows up to 10 feet tall and seems to be spreading. Ii have a couple that look like small trees. Please help, as these plants are ruining my yard and are a nightmare.

It may be a Ailanthus (tree of heaven) or black walnut. These are rather invasive weed trees that look like sumac.

If you are finding that when you cut them back that they just regrow, try painting the fresh cuts with Roundup. The tree will suck the Roundup into the root system through the cut and this will kill the roots.

Once you have the more mature plants handled, the best way to handle them in the future is to become diligent about removing the seedlings as you find them.

The seedlings must be coming from a nearby plant (hopefully one in your yard). If possible, see if you can remove the source of the seeds or at least reduce how many seeds fall into your yard. If it is in a neighbor's yard, you can ask if they can at least prune any branches that hang over into your yard to help reduce how many seeds fall into your yard.

00
Here are more questions about Black Walnut Trees