Container Hibiscus Plants

Home Remedies to Kill Mites

missyw added on October 18, 2012 | Answered

I have two hibiscus braided trees that I put outside in the summer. Before I bring them in each year, I spray the tops and bottoms of the leaves with a drop of dish soap and water. But this year they still have the sticky leaves. Is there a home remedy recipe I can make to kill the mites? I love my plants, but I really need help so I don’t lose them. I’ve had these plants for a few years now. I also have a LARGE hibiscus bush plant that I also put out in summer and bring in for the winter. It also has the same problem. If not a home recipe, I really want to know about the BEST solution for killing the bugs. Thank you sincerely Missyw

Insect pests that affect hibiscus plants include spider mites, mealybugs, aphids and whiteflies, all of which secrete what is referred to as "honeydew," the sticky substance you mention. You can hose down the plants prior to bringing indoors and then treat with neem oil. It is safe for pets and people but kills all of these pests. It is also an effective fungicide. Here is more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/pesticides/neem-oil-uses.htm

00
Here are more questions about Container Hibiscus Plants