Dogwood Trees

Dogwood Care in Planters

I live in Manhattan, NY. and I have just planted two 7-foot dogwoods (Kousa) in large, thick concrete planters. I amended the soil and placed 3 inches of mulch over the top. The root ball of these trees was burlapped and quite small once all the clay fell away. I soaked them after planting. Do I need to water them over the winter season even if they are dormant?

Typically, you should treat a plant in a pot as though it is one zone lower than the one you live in. Many dogwoods are hardy to zone 3 or 4, depending on the variety. As for watering, most trees, like dogwoods, are dormant during cold winters so they will need less water. Don't leave them dry for weeks at a time, but do not let them sit in wet soil, or the roots will rot.

00
Here are more questions about Dogwood Trees