Dahlias

Dahlias

Alan B added on September 13, 2017 | Answered

I have planted dahlias a couple of years ago and every year they come back and flower really well. I have not pinched them out this year and they have grown to the usual height-4-5 feet. Trouble is, they are very thin and not bushy and a lot of the lower leaves have died off and it looks a little untidy although, the flowers at the top of the stems are still good. Can I cut them back to the ground now? i'm just worried they have not stored enough food yet. I don't usually cut back until mid- October.

I recommend cutting only what is dead or injured right now. Thin out what you can, and possibly fertilize them with an all-purpose fertilizer once or twice a year. Here is an article with more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/dahlia/dahlia-care-grow-dahlia-plant.htm

00
Here are more questions about Dahlias