Dahlias

Dahlia Tubers

Hello. Last spring I planted a kogana fubuki Dahlia. It grew beautifully. I wanted to preserve the tubers for separating and planting this season. I lifted, but did not seperate the tubers. When I pulled my tubers out of storage...well, the accompanying photo shows what happened over winter. Is there any way you can tell me in an email how, if it all, I can salvage this beautiful plant? I am just not at all sure where to begin. Thank you.

Rena Esset

You have a couple of options.

1) Trim off the sprouts and try rooting them. Rooting compounds increases the odds that roots will develop, so those are worth a try. Snip to 3-5" long, dip into compound and follow package directions.

2) If there are some shorter sprouts on the tubers, don't cut them. Leave them and gently plant the tuber with the sprouts heading upwards in the soil. You'll have to be careful as the sprouts are brittle and easy to break off. Plant under 3-4" of soil and water lightly, just enough to settle the soil around the tuber.

Assuming the plants live, the sprouts will green up remarkably fast, often in just a couple days.

00
Here are more questions about Dahlias