Birch Trees

Clump River Birch Tree

I planted three Clump River Birch trees in different locations around my yard last fall. I watered them constantly. It is now spring and there are a few leaves on one of the trees, some buds on the other two. I know they are not dead by the color, but why aren't they growing leaves? There are some leaves coming out of the ground at the base. It also appears that the small branches on the bottom are being broken off. Could rabbits be eating my trees? I live in Illinois and we have had quite a bit of rain, so I know they are in a good watered environment for now. I don't want to give up on them just yet. My husband thinks they are dead, but I am sure they are not. I am very sad about this situation and wonder what I can do to rectify it.

dann

to keep rabbits and deer from eating your leaves mix egg yoke and water and spray the trees. some trees will be slow to sprout after their first winter don't give up on them yet.

00
Here are more questions about Birch Trees