Container Hibiscus Plants
Q.

Hibiscus Climate

I live in southern Alabama. My hibiscus are in pots, but they are getting too big to drag inside for the winter. Will they survive the winter (we do have 20-30 degree nights)? Is there something I can do in order to plant them outside and make sure they survive?

A.
    A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer

Hardy hibiscus can be left in the ground throughout winter. In cooler climates, additional protection may be needed, such as tarps, burlap, etc. However, this shouldn't be necessary in your area, unless what you have is a tropical variety, which will need to be brought indoors. A light trim is ok (especially if moving indoors) but I would wait until spring before performing any worthwhile pruning. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/hibiscus/tips-for-pruning-hibiscus-plants-when-to-prune-hibiscus.htm

00

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

here are more questions about...
    Container Hibiscus Plants
    Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
    Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More