Dogwood Trees

Can Young Dogwood Tree Survive Outside During Winter?

dogwoodtree added on October 16, 2015 | Answered

Can a very young dogwood tree survive outside during winter? I have a very young dogwood tree that was planted in a pot this past spring/summer. It is about 1 foot tall, so it is still very small. I have it on my deck in a pot and it has grown leaves. Should I keep it outside during the winter or bring it indoors?

Dogwood Trees are Hardy in zone 5 - 9.

That said your young tree is very small. It may not have the root system to withstand the winter.

I would allow it to go dormant and store for the winter in a garage or similar location. You can add some protection around the pot. Check the plant once a month to make sure the soil has not dried out completely. You can add a small amount of water if the soil dries too much.

You can then plant your tree out in the spring.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/dogwood/caring-dogwood-trees.htm

00
Here are more questions about Dogwood Trees