Rosemary Plants

Best Soil for a Rosemary Bush

Anonymous added on December 31, 2014 | Answered

I would like to know what the best soil is to grow a healthy rosemary bush in Mayer, Arizona. I have never had luck with growing rosemary and have always been so interested in the beautiful bush, and great herb. Please help me. Thanks.

They typically like well-draining, somewhat sandy soil. Here is more information on growing rosemary plants: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/rosemary/growing-rosemary-plants-rosemary-plant-care.htm

00
Eugbug

My soil is quite heavy and clayey, but also free draining, however I have found it easy to grow rosemary. When planting, I make a hole about twice as wide and twice as deep as the root ball, then I pack a mix of soil and home made compost tightly around the root. I make my own compost which contains everything from grass clippings and vegetable peelings, to moss and upper growth from herbaceous perennials, basically anything organic and not too woody. I leave this for over a year to decay and it turns into wonderful fertile material which plants flourish in.

00
Here are more questions about Rosemary Plants