are hibiscus plant poisonous?
We are bringing our hibiscus tree in for the winter. Are the flowers or the leaves poisonous (we have cats)? If they are, how do you recommend we protect the cats from eating the leaves or the flowers?
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
Hibiscus can, in fact, cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea if ingested. However, cats are not usually attracted to the plants and many go into dormancy when brought indoors. Nonetheless, I would suggest keeping your plants somewhere that your cat does not frequent as much (a closed up room for example).
Hibiscus does not appear to be toxic to most cats. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/plants-toxic-to-cats.htm
However, for the appearance of your plants, you'll want to keep your cats from chewing or biting them, or scratching on the trunks, or digging in the soil. If you can't keep your plants in a separate room, or out of the way of cats, some of these suggestions may be helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/hpgen/cat-proofing-houseplants.htm
Your cats may be completely uninterested in the hibiscus, however.