Greenhouses

Algae in Reservoirs

Why is there a lot of algae growing in my vegetable water reservoirs? And is it bad? I am growing my vegetables in containers and in a greenhouse.

There are 3 things algae needs to survive, water, light and food. Make sure that fertilizer is not making its way into the reservoir, as this can make algae blooms worse. Also, if you can, block light from getting into the reservoir. Third, make the water less friendly with a few drops of bleach. Literally just a few, 1-2 drops per gallon of water and don't add it right before you plan on using the water in the reservoir. This will be diluted enough not to harm your plants but will reduce the algae and making sure to wait before using the water adds an extra layer of protection as the bleach will evaporate from the water, leaving even less in the water.

00
Here are more questions about Greenhouses