Q.A Thick Layer Of White Sponge-like Fungi Under Mulch
My organic garden has developed a 7-inch layer of whitish sponge-like fungi that has spread about 2 meters by 2 meters. I went ahead and planted bulb onions in it and the onion leaves are not as robust as I would have liked. What are these fungi and should I be worried? Is there anything that should do? Any insight greatly appreciated.
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
Unfortunately, your photos did not come through. It does sound a bit like what is known as Dog Vomit Mold. This is good news, and bad news.
The good news is that this organism eats bacteria. This is what it will consume the most of during its life cycle.
The bad news is that your soil is bacterial. Usually, this means that it stays far too moist to support plant life. This is where bacteria thrive. Fortunately, it is where the slime mold thrives, as well.
I would let the organism do what it does best- It acts as a soil cleaner. Make sure to let the soil dry out thoroughly between waterings, if possible.
If you want to speed things up, you can use a fungicide to help treat your soil. This article will help you with fungicide use:
This article will explain more on the subject of Slime Molds: