We had to remove a very old, large maple tree from our backyard. Now we have fungus (mushrooms) growing in abundance. The stump has been ground down below the grade, but the extensive root system is decaying and the fungus is flourishing. Any help to eliminate this problem would be appreciated.
You may need to treat that area with fungicide and try to remove as much of the root system as possible. Here is an article that you may find helpful: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/lawn-care/lgen/eliminate-mushrooms-in-your-lawn.htm
Article very informative, but why is it growing in my mulch but not in any of my neighbor's yards?
It is simply about having the right conditions for the mold to grow.
I didn't know what it was so I took it out of my garden boxes because it was so close to my vegetables. Was I wrong to do that? Am I supposed to get rid if it?
Growing likely due to a damp and darker location in your window box, this adorable fungus will not harm your plants!
Here is a link with more information.
The soil in one of my potted plants is molding. How can I get rid of the mold?
You can just spoon it out and follow these tips to prevent more:
This was in the garden last night so I blasted it away with the hose. It was back again this morning. Any ideas what it is?
It is a slime mold. It is quite beneficial for your lawn, actually. It is just a little unsightly.
I would leave it alone, as it is probably consuming some lawn infection- doing quite a service for your lawn.
Here is some information on the subject: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/fungus-lichen/what-is-slime-mold-slime.htm
It may look disgusting but it is a completely benign fungus. In the USA, we call it "slime mold" or less commonly, "dog vomit fungus". Typically they are a 1 or 2 day phenomenon then disappear completely. Here is an article with more details: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/fungus-lichen/what-is-slime-mold-slime.htm
Pine cones and twigs that have been buried with compost for a year or so are often covered with a bright white fungus when I dig my raised bed. The contamination seems to be spreading. Any idea what this is? Is it dangerous? What can I do about it?
That's actually what is breaking down those things in the soil. It is fairly important to make sure that it is broken down pretty well before planting, or it will leach nutrients from your plants.
The white mycelium that you see is fungal, but beneficial. Getting rid of that would leave your garden unusable for a short time.
Let the rest of that decompose, and turn the soil frequently, until most of the wood has broken down into soil.
Over the winter, I have noticed this (see picture) growing on my Astroturf lawn. It is slimy in texture and looks like a fungus. Any ideas on how to get rid of it.
This is a type of cyanobterium. This used to be known as an algae, but has since been reclassified.
The most effective way to deal with this is to let the area dry out. The moisture will invite the bacteria back. You can also treat with copper sulfate, which will rid the area of the slime.
Here is an article for more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/lawn-care/lgen/controlling-algae-in-grass.htm