Container Hibiscus Plants

Hibiscus Stopped Blooming

poshtart added on June 9, 2012 | Answered

I have an indoor hibiscus, which I have had for several years. However, although very healthy with glossy leaves and new growth, ever since I pruned the plant last year it hasn't flowered. The cuttings I potted on have flowered. I feed the plant weekly. I have had hibiscus in the past with no problems. Can you help?

If it bloomed in the past and is not blooming now, it is likely a phosphorus deficiency. I would add bone meal around the plant. Also, if you pruned too late, then this could attribute to the flowering delay. Maybe this article on pruning hibiscus will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/hibiscus/tips-for-pruning-hibiscus-plants-when-to-prune-hibiscus.htm

00

You said you fertilize weekly. You might want to rethink that routine - plants can be over-fertiiized! Nitrogen promotes green leaf growth as opposed to flowers. Try to leach out the extra fertilizer - that means run alot of water through the soil, at least 5 times the volume of the pot - before adding the bone meal. In the future, fertilize once a month during growing/flowering, and none during dormancy. Also use a fertilizer with a slightly higher middle number, like 5-10-5; the middle number signifies ratio of phosphorous in the mixture. Let me know how that works, if you can.

00
Here are more questions about Container Hibiscus Plants