Zoysia Grass

Zoysia Grass Winter Damage

I live in south central Texas. I have a 9-year-old Zoysia lawn. We recently have gone through a two-year drought,  six months of considerable rain, and an unusally cold winter. My grass does not show many signs of greening up yet (March 10). I have raked out most of the thatch and mowed it once pretty low. I plan to spread compost over the entire lawn by April 1. Do you think the grass is still dormant or possibly froze and may not come back? Or, am I just impatient?

Zoysia grass is pretty hardy, so I do not think it is completely dead. There may be significant die back, but I am certain it will come back. Go ahead and add the compost as that will help it recover but wait on mowing it further until you see active growth.

Here are more questions about Zoysia Grass