Zoysia Grass

Zoysia Grass

chipinaw added on April 22, 2011 | Answered

Hi, I have a children's summer camp in upstate NY. I have some areas that I want to grow some grass quickly. I did hear Zoysia grass is very invasive. The areas I want to do get heavy traffic like around our pool and soccer and baseball fields. Will this grass overtake our clay infields on the ball fields?

I see there are issues with cold and hot weather. We need the grass green from May to Sept.   Will this be a good grass for the Catskill Mountains??

Thanks, Justin

The grass will stay green for most of that time. It will be a bit brown at the very beginning and the tail end of that time if you have a cold winter. It can stand up to the traffic, but may become a nuisance at the edges of the fields.

You may want to look at Bluegrass or a Bluegrass Mixture. The mixtures are normally set up to establish quickly with a faster growing turf grass that then gives way to the more sturdy Bluegrass as it establishes. Bluegrass is less invasive, looks nice in cooler areas like yours but is very durable once established.

00
Here are more questions about Zoysia Grass