Fig Tree

Worms on Bark of Fig Tree

I live in central Louisiana. I've noticed the presence of little half inch worms living on the bark of my fig tree. They are gray in color and look sort of like inch worms, except they curl up when touched instead of inching their backs. My tree is two years old and I would love for it to survive. Any input on what this worm is and what to do about it would be wonderful.

It's possible that the tree has climbing cutworms, of which there are many species...including a gray-colored type. All of these worms tend to curl up when threatened. Here is more information on their control:

Note: the control for regular garden cutworms and climbing cutworms, which commonly affect fruiting trees, is the same. In addition to the suggestions from the above article, you may also want to consider neem oil, which is an effective, organic pesticide. Here is more info:

Here are more questions about Fig Tree