Purple Fountain Grass

Wintering Purple Fountain Grass

I have heard that you can bring this grass in during the winter in a north facing window and it will do well, and then put it back in the garden in the spring and it will grow again. Is this true? Do I cut off and dig up a small section, or can I take seeds off the plumes? Is there a way to save this plant or a small portion over the winter? I live in the central part of Illinois.

Unless you have a cold-hardy variety, it is very difficult to successfully overwinter these plants. However, you can dig it up and put in a pot, and try bringing it in the house. Clip the foliage down to about 3 inches from the top of the pot and stick it in a sunny window in a cool room. Keep it moist (but not wet) because it can die very easily from drying out. It will revert to green coloration and won't look like much for the winter, but when it goes back outside in the spring, it should come back.

00
Here are more questions about Purple Fountain Grass