Lawn Problems

Winter Lawn Problem

Anonymous added on December 31, 2014 | Answered

I live in Surrey and have a newly turfed lawn in July. We did not cut the lawn short enough in the autumn when a late growth spurt took us by surprise. Now after some heavy snow and cold conditions, it is not looking too healthy, and quite flattened, as it was left too long. Should I cut it on a high setting? Any advice on what I can do to give it the best chance of a healthy recovery in the spring?

I would leave it until spring. Cutting it at this time could cause it to come out of dormancy, which would cause it further damage in the cold weather. Wait until spring to cut it and start at a high setting at first and cut a bit shorter each time until you get it to your desired length. Cutting too much of the grass blade all at once in the spring could also cause damage.

00
Here are more questions about Lawn Problems