American Holly Bushes

Why Has My American Holly Tree Lost Its Bark?

ktuell added on June 24, 2015 | Answered

I have several American Holly trees that lost all their leaves but have small shoots of leaves in random places on some branches. It appears the bark is falling off. Should I just cut them down or wait to see if they recover? Is this a mole problem or the result of a bad winter?

The American Holly Tree can be susceptible to many diseases and insects, as well as environmental issues.
Losing all the leaves in itself, the plant can sometimes correct itself and grow them back. Losing it's bark is generally a sign of death in a tree.

I don't thin the mole issue you mention is a factor.

I usually play on the safe side and wait and see, but sometimes cutting the losses is appropriate. Loss in a garden makes for new opportunities.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/holly/diseases-of-holly-bushes-pests-and-diseases-damaging-holly-bushes.htm

00
Here are more questions about American Holly Bushes