Madagascar Palm

Why Do the Leaves on My Madgascar Palm Turn Black

Ctsmeow added on September 20, 2014 | Answered

It is 4 years old. I started it from seed. It has grown in height is about 2 ft. tall, when it gets a few leaves on top they turn black and fall off. The palm still grows and has always been in a pot and indoors. I re-potted it in spring and used new cactus soil.

thanks for your answer

I would guess that the soil is staying too wet. You may be watering when the surface feels dry, but the soil under the surface, down near the bottom of the pot, may still be damp. Use an electronic moisture meter, or test with a bamboo kebob skewer - when you pull it up it should feel dry. Don't water until the soil feels dry. You have made a good start by using cactus soil; next time you repot, add perlite to it, in a ratio of 1:1. And always remember, this plant is not a palm of any kind. It's more of a cactus.

Here are more questions about Madagascar Palm