Crookneck Squash

Why Do I Have All Male Squash Blossoms on New Plants

Malena added on May 9, 2011 | Answered

I have recently planted a raised 12 x 12 garden with your typical summer vegetables. I have lots of blossoms on my young crookneck and zucchini, but they seem to be all males. Why is that? I live in Houston, Tx and it has gotten very hot quickly and we also have had no rain in 90 plus days, so Im watering daily. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

This is a normal process. Early in the growing season squash plants tend to produce more male blossoms than female blossoms. Since there are no female blossoms for the male plant to pollinate, the male blossoms simply fall off the vine. Your squash vine will eventually produce a more even mix of female and male blossoms. The male blossoms will still fall off the vine but the female blossoms will grow into squash. Be patient.

00
Here are more questions about Crookneck Squash