Rhododendron Plants

Why Are the Leaves on My Rhododendron Curving Up and Losing Their Luster?

AppleV added on July 28, 2012 | Answered

Planted May 31st (In the Minneapolis area). Has been watered regularly and seemed to be doing fine until about a week ago. I fertilized with an azalea/rhododendron fertilizer (1 tsp to 1 gallon of water) 4 or 5 days ago. It is planted on the east side of the house and receives sun about 8 hours a day. Is it possible I watered too much? (as you know it's been beastly hot here), or was the fertilizer a bad idea?

I suspect that it may not be getting enough water. Newly planted shrubs are hard to overwater the first year (unless they are in standing water) and this has been a very hot summer so it would need even more than usual. I would try increasing the amount of water you are providing.

The fertilizer is fine as long as you mixed it and applied it to the packagings directions.

00
Here are more questions about Rhododendron Plants