Boxwood Shrubs

When to Prune Boxwoods

Martin L Marchant III added on January 17, 2018 | Answered

The article "pruning Boxwood shrubs and When to prune" answered the question about when although somewhat vaguely. It also seemed to assume the definition of pruning or trimming to be shearing (with electric or hand shearers). I was really expecting hand pruning to be at least the preferred method but it was not mentioned. So my question would be - As an annual maintenance item for Boxwood hand pruning (not for topiary or formal hedge rows) would March and July be appropriate times to hand prune? (objective to allow light penetration to interior for new growth to be stimulated and maintain the current height and spread)

That will be completely fine. That will give it plenty of time to recover, I believe. You can prune with anything, really, as long as it is clean.

Here are more questions about Boxwood Shrubs