Crape Myrtle Trees

When to Prune Back Crape Myrtles

I have over 30 crape myrtles on my property. I like to keep them cut back to about 5 feet so I can enjoy the blooms without having to look up. I've heard fall and early spring. I like my landscape to look fresh during the winter, so is it OK to prune them back now?

If you prune right now, you will diminish next year's blooms. The tree has not entered a solid state of dormancy yet and pruning now could bring it back out of dormancy and make it susceptible to cold damage. If you wait until mid-winter to early spring (between Jan 1st to mid March) it will be better. Here is an article to help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/crepe-myrtle/best-crepe-myrtle-pruning-time-when-to-prune-crepe-myrtle.htm

00
Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees