Ninebark Shrubs

When to Prune a Ninebark Shrub

Jinny added on August 12, 2012 | Answered

My shrub grows very well but it never get flowers on it. We bought our house a few years ago and they were already here. The shrub gets about 5 foot tall and wild looking. They are in the front by the walkway, so I need to trim them so they don't get in the way.  Do I need to move them to a different location, although I think they like where they are? Just would love the flowers to grow. There are 3 plants about 5 ft. apart. Thank you.

Pruning for shape and thinning inner branches will likely be all that is necessary to keep growing ninebark shrubs healthy and attractive. If you prefer, renewal pruning to a foot above the ground can be included in ninebark shrub care during dormancy every few years. If flowering is the issue, it could simply be a lack of phosphorus in the soil (a soil test will let you know for certain). Adding bone meal to the soil around your shrubs may help with this.

Here are more questions about Ninebark Shrubs