Blue Spruce

When to Plant a Blue Spruce Tree

Riddy added on December 31, 2017 | Answered

Should I plant a blue spruce tree now or wait till . . . ? Situation: We live in Asheville NC in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Purchased Blue spruce about 5 feet tall including root ball and pot from a reputable nursery on Nov 30th. The tree had been out side in a pot at he nursery not indoors. Instead of planting it immediately we placed it on our front porch and placed lED Christmas lights on it. The porch has a roof, but otherwise not climate controlled, no glass or heat-same temp as area around the house. It is going to be in the teens tonight and single digits tomorrow night. My question is it better to put the tree in the ground before it gets colder? If not, should we leave it on the porch or put it in the sun? Should we wrap the pot its in with tarp etc.? If now is not the right time, when should we plant the tree? When it is how warm or about what date?

To be safe I would wait until spring. These are hardy in your area, and will survive just fine outdoors. I would just wait until spring to give it the best chance to recover from transplant. Here is an article that will help:

Here are more questions about Blue Spruce