St. Augustine Grass

What’s Eating My St. Aug. Grass

karo1954 added on March 1, 2012 | Answered

Over the last several years my lawn has disappeared of St. Augustine grass. I do have new growth and it looks promising but it is thin. All around the grass runners is what looks like small ant beds, maybe 1" high. It's all over the yard and the grass is disappearing. I thought that it may be grub worms but after reading a few articles on-line I don't think it is anymore, due to what was posted and what to look for it. I do have earthworms (large ones) and I do have grub worms that I have dug up looking to see anything. The numbers just don't add up to be grubs. So with what looks like small ant beds, what does this sound like here and how can I treat the problem? I've had enough and this year I'm on the warpath. ---Thanks, CJ

Ants typically don't damage lawns. The exception would be if they were building so many mounds that it was replacing the lawn, but this does not sounds like your issue.

It sounds like you may have a fungus. Have you tried treating the lawn with a fungicide? This article has more info on a few of the more common fungi that attack lawns:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/lawn-care/lgen/grass-fungus.htm

00
Here are more questions about St. Augustine Grass