Nasturium Plants

What Worm Is Eating My Nasturtium Seeds?

newtoFL added on October 2, 2015 | Answered

It has been over two weeks and most of my nasturtiums had not sprouted. I planted them in a egg carton with potting soil. I dug one out and found 10 or so thin hair like worms eating the seed. I dug a few more and found the same situation. Grossed out I threw the tray away. They are so small it was hard getting a picture but you can see a few on the seed. They are so small they looked like roots. What are they? How did they get there and how can I get rid of them? Are these parasites? Thank you for your help.

Yes, it is difficult to see from this image.

It is possible that the seeds were contaminated or the soil.

Always use sterile soilless mix for seed starting.

You can help the germination of Nasturtium seeds by soaking overnight or nicking the seeds prior to planting.
Here is a link with more information.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/nasturtium/growing-nasturtiums.htm

00
Here are more questions about Nasturium Plants