White Pines

What Type of Perennial Grows Best Under White Pines?

mfecteau added on July 26, 2011 | Answered

I have White Pines around the perimeter of my backyard and would like to add some color/excitement. What type of perennial can I plant under and in front of the pines?

Susan75023

In the shade, ferns, hostas, astilbe, bleeding heart, shade annuals like coleus, impatiens, etc. Check out how heavy the root system is - digging there may be difficult. The pine will take up much of the water so be aware of that challenge in keeping plants moist enough. For sun, your choices are only limited by your tastes. Since you want to be able to see the plants behind this planting, keep in mind that height of plants will be a factor. You may want shorter plants here You may even want to consider a ground cover - visit a good nursery and ask lots of questions specifically about your area.

00
Here are more questions about White Pines