Pumpkin Plants

What Should the Inside of a Pumpkin Look Like When Cut in Half

JODIE500 added on September 2, 2012 | Answered

The pumpkin was a bright orange on the outside. I cut the pumpkin in half because I want to can it. But the inside is a white orange. It really isn't string on the inside, looks like there is a lot of pumpkin walls on the inside. Was this pumpkin ripe? If not, do I have to get rid of it because I cut it in half too soon. I want to can it but I don't want to make my family sick if I use it.

It is likely not ripe enough. Most people would prefer NOT to eat unripened pumpkins, but there are those that do, though it is bland and not very tasty. However, it won't hurt you. So if you want to try and salvage any for pies and such, you may be able to.

For help with pumpkin ripening in the future, these articles should help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/pumpkin/how-to-tell-when-pumpkins-are-ripe.htm

Here are more questions about Pumpkin Plants