Purple Fountain Grass

Watering Ocotillos and Purple Fountain Grass

I plant purple fountain grass each year and it does pretty good. I have it on a drip system and during the summer, it gets about 5-6 minutes of water daily. Is this too much? I live in the high desert, Apple Valley, CA (3000 ft). My ocotillos do ok and get the same amount of water, plus I mist the stalks. Is this too much water for these plants?

Although it will not necessarily harm the plant, most types of fountain grass do not require regular watering with exception to periods of drought. I’d say that in your particular area and for your circumstances, however, it is probably worth the effort to continue what you’re doing.

The ocotillo is also a drought tolerant plant and too much water can lead to root rot.

00
Here are more questions about Purple Fountain Grass