Watering Needs in High Desert

I live in Siskiyou County in California (aka: high desert and banana belt). We get . 12' of average rainfall yearly. My husband does not believe I should water at all because it is winter, with clouds and high winds but no rain or much snow. I have roses and other plants that can't go all winter without water. Help. My Zone is 6 or 7 because of my micro-climate.

Those roses do need watering, especially when there has been a lot of high winds and no moisture! The winds will draw the moisture out of the ground very quickly and thus kill the rosebushes and other plants. Use a moisture meter with as long a probe on it as possible and push it into the ground in three places around the base of the rosebushes, taking note of each reading. If they all show dry or just about dry, give them some water. Try to water in the morning so the roses have time to take up the water before the colder night temps come.

00