Water Gardening

Water Garden Plants in Winter

How do I care for my garden pond water plants over the winter? I live in Zone 6 so it’s too cold to leave them in the pond, isn't it? I have Papyrus and some kind of elephant ear.

They need to come out of the pond and stored indoors over winter, placing them in water. You can use an aquarium with a grow or fluorescent light over it, a plastic tub under lights or a glass or plastic jar placed on a window sill. Any container where the plants are in water and get 8-12 hours of light will work. It is best to store your plants bare rooted in the water and not in growing pots. Replace the water weekly and keep the water temperature around 70 F.

In the spring, when the plants begin to sprout, replant the them in a growing pot and place out into your pond after the last frost date has passed.

Here are more questions about Water Gardening