Virginia Creeper Plants

Virginia Creeper and a Gate

hmquirion added on March 30, 2017 | Answered

I have a well-established Virginia creeper vine on the fence in my yard and I love it, but as it is we do not have access to the back lane and would like to put a gate in the fence. We were given one that has an arch that it could climb over. Any advice in ensuring the health of the plant? We will have to cut a hole in the fence (as well as the vine) to put in the gate.

Your Virginia creeper should do fine, since the plant responds well to pruning, as explained in this article:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/vines/virginia-creeper/virginia-creeper-maintenance.htm

Just keep in mind that any portion of the vine that is detached from the ground will, of course, die. You can always replant a section if you need to to get it to climb over the gate.

00
Here are more questions about Virginia Creeper Plants