Viburnum Shrubs

Viburnum Shrub- Eaten Foliage

Something is eating the foliage of my viburnum shrub. Some of the leaves are completely eaten and some of the leaves have eight inch holes on various sections of the leaf. There is no visible sign of pest. I have checked the tops and bottoms of the damaged foliage. Earlier in the year, I had a Japanese beetle and white fly problem, but both pests are gone for now. I live in Louisville, Ky. , Zone 5. The viburnum was planted in May of this year. I live in a very wooded area, park setting in a rural area.

It is possible that the shrub is being eaten by slugs since they can cause damage like this. They only come out and feed at night, making it much more difficult to see them. However, you should notice a distinct silvery colored "snail trail" throughout the area. This article will also help, should this in fact be the offending party:

Here are more questions about Viburnum Shrubs