Kiwi Vines

Old Kiwi Breaking Down Trellis

joycesdogs added on January 25, 2016 | Answered

I am wondering what to do with my very old Kiwi trees. They are breaking down the trellis, including the posts. I need to rebuild the trellis. The canopy is huge. Could I just cut off all the canopy? Maybe leave a few newer branches? I really don't want to kill them. They are probably 30+ years old. I don't even like Kiwi, but I like the vine, so I'm trying to figure out what to do. They are totally breaking down the old trellis including the posts. The trunks are about 6 inches in diameter. They branch out at about 3 and a half or 4 feet off the ground. I have no idea which is the male and which is the female. They are all intertwined. What to do!!?? Thanks for your help.

A tangled Kiwi Vine can be quite an undertaking.
You may need to first prune out all dead material.
You can assemble a trellis system outside of the existing perimeter and then remove the broken trellis.
Here is a link with more information.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/kiwi/pruning-kiwi-vines.htm

00
Here are more questions about Kiwi Vines