Clematis Plants

Unexpected Clematis

Last year I pot-planted a clematis climbing vine. it was a successful potted plant effort; however, it perished in the Long Island fall and winter. I removed the pot in January and that was that. This spring I noticed a sprout. It had rooted through the pot. It grew and grew and now I have stalks about 3/4 inch in diameter and a plant about 7' by 4'! What do I do this winter? Trim the leaves from the vine? Please advise. . . I love my vine!

Clematis vines only need a basic mulch cover on the crown after the soil freezes. Keep it moist before freeze up and it should get through the winter just fine. Hold off pruning until early spring for most types or following bloom in others. This article may be helpful:

Indoor plants should be cut back to 8-12 inches. Also, container-grown clematis may need to be insulated or moved to a sheltered location for successful overwintering.

Here are more questions about Clematis Plants