Abelia Plants

Twist of Orange Abelia

cakegroove added on April 2, 2015 | Answered

I live in Ohio and planted 2 of these shrubs last fall. We watered them frequently taking care to not overwater them. Over the winter both shrubs have dropped all their leaves and I don't see any sign of any new ones emerging, as spring is upon us. I'm unfamiliar with this type of shrub and am curious if our harsh winter killed them, or do they sprout leaves later spring/early summer?

It is normal for abelias to lose half or all their leaves during winter in colder regions such as yours, but new leaves should reappear in the spring once things truly start warming up. The best thing I can prescribe at this time is patience.

For more information on growing abelia, please visit the following link:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/abelia/planting-abelia-bushes.htm

00
Here are more questions about Abelia Plants